Tidbits vs. Tips and Tricks
Shouldn't Tips and Tricks redirect to Category:Tips and Tricks? I know the content is here, but that only matters for people who've seen that page before, whereas the lack of redirecting to the actual Tips and Tricks cat seems like a bigger issue.
--Quetzilla 06:02, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- The thread points to the Tips And Tricks page - other than that, I don't think anyone will come across the page. The only links are from the Main Page Talk and Community Portal discussions. A search for "Tips" or "Tricks" won't bring it up, either (though it will bring up the Tidbits page; oddly enough, it won't bring up the Tips and Tricks category... I tried to fix it, but will have to look into it further).
- --Haama 07:12, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- When I do a search for Tips or Tricks it brings up the Category and this talk page.
- --Qazaaq 08:35, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- But if you search for Tips and Tricks, it brings up Tidbits, but NOT Category:Tips and Tricks. Moreover, the main page index Tips and Tricks link points to Tidbits instead. If we're using Category:Tips and Tricks, Tips and Tricks should redirect to that, regardless of the thread, because otherwise it's confusing and nonsensical. If we want people to use the tidbits page, it should be linked to prominently, but not indirectly. Perhaps it could use a section after Mod Tools in my Main Page layout proposal
- The issue with tidbits is that it's primarily going to be used by people who are editing the wiki, rather than users. If you don't know where to put something put it in Tibits (so you're already editing the wiki), and once it's there, it's up to people like us to put the tidbits in the right places. Which means it's not somewhere the average user will be looking very often.
- --Quetzilla 21:41, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- Tips search - that's an issue for all categories, not just this one. It looks like categories, by default, are not included in the search (at least I'm pretty sure I didn't uncheck it). Once you check them off in your preferences, the category will come up in the search. I'll ask GStaff to change this - otherwise we should create pages for all categories, including this one.
- Main page link - well, that should have always pointed to the category. Changing it now.
- Average users - granted, it's original purpose was to catalog interesting information on the forums that we didn't have a chance to wiki-ify. I thought the redirect would be nicer than deleting it (it wasn't very wiki-like, and as pointed out in the thread the first 2 suggestions don't really make sense). Also, in the future, it would be nice to direct people to this page (or at least mention it) when we ask for information to be posted on the wiki.
- --Haama 17:07, 18 December 2008 (UTC)
- I'll make sure to direct people here. There's a lot of stuff in my answers to questions on talk pages that I want to wiki-fy as well.
- --Quetzilla 18:39, 18 December 2008 (UTC)
Every tidbit on this page has a signature, that has to stop. I'm inclined to remove all content and start out fresh, because we can't use these.
--Qazaaq 21:58, 3 January 2009 (UTC)
- The signatures were originally there as they were taken from forum posts. Pgrandstaff probably put his there just to follow with the convention from the other tidbits. If you're going to change something, it's probably best to just put the tidbit in the actual wiki page where it should go and delete it from here.
- --Quetzilla 11:42, 4 January 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, I was simply following suit... obviously as this is a wiki I make no claim of ownership. Feel free to do with it as you will.
- Pgrandstaff 02:03, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
Tip on re-grid-snapping a room
Perhaps I found this page too late, would using a Snap To Reference solve the same problem as my lengthy (and painful) method? Pgrandstaff 03:25, 6 January 2009 (UTC)